Think back to the last time you traveled in horrible conditions without a snow tire chain or two. It wasn’t easy, wasn’t it? For many people, it’s nearly impossible. You may need a snow tire chain set more than you think.
Instead of having to travel through mud, sand, loose terrain, snow, or ice with only your rubber tires, set aside some time to shop for snow tire chains. They can often be the difference between making it to your destination safely, and having a few minor incidents along the way.
However, there is no one size fits all approach to snow tire chain shopping. Every set is different for various vehicles, which can mean you need to put a little more thought into the process.
Some sets may be helpful in all conditions, while others are more suitable for only snow or only dirt. Then, some will feature cumbersome but rugged metal chains, while others are nylon, rubber, or a mixture of cable and other materials.
When you take a look online, you are bound to find a range of snow tire chains on offer from a significant variety of manufacturers. Some are more high-quality than others, while others are priced more competitively.
The goal is to get the best snow tire chain money can buy, but without compromising on quality. It’s a hard ask but, fortunately, these nine options below may be of assistance.
9. Security Chain Company Tire Traction Chain Set for Light Trucks and SUV Cars
When you need to buy a snow tire chain set to make it through wintry conditions, it can be a laborious process. Unless you’re a tire expert, how are you supposed to know whether the set you pick will fit your vehicle?
That’s where this snow tire chain set of two from Security Chain Company comes in. With a compatibility option available to make sure they fit perfectly, there is minimal chance of them not being suitable for your vehicle when you buy them. Therefore, you can purchase this set with confidence. However, the benefits don’t end there.
Aside from the accurate fit, these snow tire chains are packed full of convenient features. The most standout property of this snow tire chain set is the rubber tensioners.
With most regular chains, you have to stop the vehicle every so often and tighten them all back up. This set, with rubber tensioners, makes that a thing of the past. They always tighten themselves!
They also have Class S clearance, provide excellent traction performance, and have overall better durability than many options on the market. You will even find they perform well with vehicles boasting electronic control systems, traction control, and cars that are AWD.
There is a minimal risk to vehicles regarding damage, and the fitment is accurate. Therefore, there’s every reason to consider purchasing this snow tire chain set today.
- Rubber tensioners
- Set of two
- Class S clearance
- 12.8 pounds
- 17.4 x 7.7 x 7.7 inches
- You don’t need to retighten them
- Excellent traction performance
- Better durability than others
- Compatible with anti-lock brakes, AWD vehicles, electronic control systems, and traction control
- Minimal risk of vehicle damage
- Fitment is accurate
- Quite challenging to install
- Expensive to purchase
8. Security Chain Company Cable Snow Tire Chain for Passenger Cars, Pickups and SUVs
If you’re looking for a lightweight, affordable, and straightforward snow tire chain set to help make your winter journeys safer, then set your sights on these snow chains from Security Chain Company.
Unconventional and nothing like regular, cumbersome chains, they are a refreshing change without compromising on safety or quality.
What you will first appreciate about this set is how convenient they are to use once you put them on your vehicle. While you must drive slow, you don’t need to stop every so often to tighten them. Instead, they have rubber tighteners which help to tighten themselves.
What’s more, you can use them on SUVs, pickup trucks, and cars, with minimal risk of purchasing the wrong size. The online system can help match your vehicle with the correct snow tire chain set. This option means you very rarely need to make any pesky returns!
These chains also come in a nylon bag with waterproof gloves and instructions and are relatively quick to install. Then, after the first use, they “loosen up” a little, making them more straightforward to put on your vehicle next time.
Rather than stay home in the snow when you need to get from A to B, gear up with this snow tire chain set and make the journey safer than it ever has been.
- Suitable for SUVs, pickup trucks, and cars
- Rubber tighteners
- 17 size options
- 7 x 4 x 18 inches
- Reusable nylon bag
- You can use them with a range of vehicles
- You only need minimal clearance between your car and tires
- The installation process is straightforward
- There are rubber tighteners
- Better traction performance than other brands
- Suitable for vehicles with anti-lock brakes, traction control, electronic systems, and AWD
- They corrode after use
- There isn’t a lot of “give” when you first install them
- The installation process is a little hard to understand before you begin
7. KONIG Snow Chains
If you find yourself traversing snowy roads on a regular basis, then it might be time to invest in this snow tire chain set from KONIG. While it can be a little more expensive to buy than others on the market, you will quickly realize that there is a reason for that – they’re built to last.
They feature robust, solid material, are reasonably weighty to handle all terrain, and they’re suitable for SUVs as well. This snow tire chain set has also met a range of standards, with certifications to show they are fit for the purpose.
You can purchase them in eight sizes, they come with a quick-fit style and even have anti-scratch nylon bumpers to minimize or eradicate the risk of vehicle damage.
However, the most convenient feature is the self-tensioning system. Rather than stop and tighten the chains, or worry about them coming loose, you can rest assured they are doing all the hard work themselves. Therefore, with all these features, it’s clear to see they are well worth their price tag.
- Eight sizes
- Quick-fit style
- Suitable for SUVs
- 12mm on-the-tread clearance
- Anti-scratch nylon bumpers
- Four certifications
- Self-tensioning system
- You don’t have to stop and tighten them
- They are quick to install
- Rugged, durable, and long-lasting
- Suitable for larger vehicles
- Plenty of sizing options
- You can make sure they fit your car through the sizing chart before buying them
- There are nylon bumpers on the set to make sure it doesn’t scratch your vehicle
- Expensive to buy
- Hard to install for first-time users
6. Arnold Snow Thrower Tire Chains
In the midst of winter, you can find yourself using a snow thrower or blower to help clear a path for transport, but have you got a snow tire chain set for it?
You can make your job so much easier by adding a snow tire chain to each wheel as you make your way along with the snow blower. They offer additional grip while also speeding up the process for better productivity. However, that’s not all.
This snow tire chain set comes as a pair with two 16 x 4.8-inch chains to suit a range of blowers and throwers. They are also only suitable for tires with knobby tread – making them a niche product of which is sure to come in handy.
They are more affordable than regular tire chains you may purchase, provide exceptional traction, and come with instructions on how to install them. Some people find the installation process a little tricky – especially if the snow tire chain is a tight fit.
However, to combat this problem, you can slightly deflate the tire then inflate it once you have the snow tire chain on. For this reason, they are a standout product of which you would be happy to own.
- Snow thrower style
- Suitable for 16 x 4.8-inch snow thrower tires
- Two chains included
- For knobby tread only
- Suitable for a range of snow throwers
- Provide adequate traction
- More affordable than regular snow tire chains
- Challenging to install
- The locking mechanisms are too short
- Some of the links are poor quality
5. TireChains.com ATV UTV Snow Tire Chains
Just because it’s snowing, doesn’t mean you don’t need to head out on your ATV or UTV – with or without a snow tire chain set. Are your farm animals going to take care of themselves? Unlikely! However, if you want your motorcycle user to be as safe as possible, it’s a good idea to purchase a snow tire chain pair from TireChains.com.
With eight sizes from which to choose, you are spoiled for choice when it comes to the best chains for your requirements. It also doesn’t matter whether you have a UTV or ATV, these chains are suitable for them both.
They are relatively straightforward to install, offer a convenient two-link style, and come with safety features as well. Because of their non-v-bar ladder, they are safe to use on asphalt and concrete.
This snow tire chain pair also boasts the title of being the thickest ATV chains available. The cross chains are over 0.23 inches thick, while the side chain is close to 0.22 inches thick. Where else can you get such durability? Therefore, there’s no time like now to protect yourself or your ATV and UTV riders with chains to traverse the snow.
- Two-link style
- Suitable for ATVs and UTVs
- Non-V-Bar ladder
- 0.234-inch cross chain thickness
- 0.218-inch side chain thickness
- Eight sizes
- 10 x 10 x 8 inches
- Suitable for a range of UTVs and ATVs
- Superior traction
- Your asphalt and concrete is safe thanks to the non-v-bar ladder
- Robust and thick chains
- Effortless installation process
- Expensive to buy
4. Grizzlar Diamond Alloy Tire Chains
Traveling in heavy snow can be a challenge, but it’s made all the easier if you purchase a snow tire chain two-pair from Grizzlar. Rather than risk your rubber tires coming to chaos on the icy and snowy road, you can follow the clear instructions laid out by Grizzlar and install this snow tire chain pair with ease.
They are affordable to buy, are suitable for a range of people and their vehicles, and will meet the mark in all wintry conditions. However, the benefits don’t end there.
The installation process of this set is far more straightforward than other snow chains on the market, all the while offering peace of mind that you can get on the road quicker than with other brands. What’s more, they feature a diamond-like style which helps with ongoing traction and braking performance.
The D-profile links will give you superior road grip, while the manganese steel chains will ensure they last the distance. You can also use them with your vehicle featuring a traction control system or ABS braking. The price tag doesn’t represent the value and quality on offer, but this snow tire chain pair is worth its price tag two-fold.
- Diamond style
- D-profile links
- Manganese steel
- ABS, traction control compatibility
- Affordable price tag
- The D-profile links offer superior grip
- The manganese steel makes them durable
- They are suitable for use with traction control systems and ABS braking
- You will find they are straightforward to install
- The diamond style of the chains helps with your braking performance and road traction
- Excellent fit
- The sizing options are limited
- Comes as a two pair instead of a full four
3. Diagtree Anti Skid Adjustable Snow Chains for Tires
Not every snow tire chain has to be a heavy, metal and cumbersome chain that’s hard to install and even harder to find somewhere to store it. They can also be like this set from Diagtree – lightweight, universal for every vehicle, and made of durable material.
This snow tire chain set of 10 or 20 is unlike most other snow chains on the market. Rather than be one piece, they are individual bands that go around your tire, offering them grip. They feature robust, anti-abrasive nylon, are suitable for use in mud, snow, and sand, and will fit your small vehicle or off-road vehicle well.
Unlike regular metal snow chains, they also don’t make a lot of noise, nor do they skid around. They also take only a few minutes to install and will get you from A to B traveling at a maximum speed of 20 kilometers per hour.
While they are by no means conventional, they may be worth your inspection if you’re tired of cumbersome metal chains which take a long time to install and are inconvenient to carry with you.
- 10-pack or 20-pack options
- Suitable for driving in mud, snow, or sand
- Nylon construction
- Universal size
- 5.7-inch to 11.6-inch compatibility
- Very easy to install
- Durable material
- Quite grippy on the road
- Affordable to buy
- Unique design
- They wear down quickly
- You can’t use them on regular roads
- They don’t last long
- Only suitable for small vehicles and off-road vehicles
2. TerraGrips Tire Chains by TerraKing
If you intend on using any yard equipment or snow blowers in challenging terrain, then don’t forget to purchase a snow tire chain set from TerraGrips. You can make your labor-intensive task far easier by using chains to improve your traction.
Whether you need to get through snow, mud, gravel, mulch, or another type of terrain, you will be more than impressed with how these tire chains deliver. They feature robust, rust-resistant plated steel chains around the outer areas of your tire, but then have rubber slats along the tire’s middle section. As a result, you will notice no damage to your yard equipment.
What’s more, you don’t need any tools to install these, they are manufactured here in the USA, and they are going to help you traverse your yard with minimal effort – regardless of how challenging the area is. Affordable to buy and set to impress, there’s every reason to consider adding these to your shopping cart now.
- Suitable for use in snow, mud, mulch, and gravel
- Rubber slats
- Tool-less installation
- Plated steel
- Made in the USA
- The rubber slats mean they won’t damage your yard equipment
- You can use them in a lot of terrain types
- You don’t need tools to install them
- They are made here in the USA
- They offer exceptional grip
- Very affordable to buy
- The rubber slips on the tire surface
- They make the journey far bumpier than with other chains
- They can tear up lawn
1. Quality Chain Cobra Snow Traction Tire Chains
If you’re on a budget, but you still need a snow tire chain or two to help you get from A to B, then take a look at these. Sold as a pair, you will find they are durable, robust, suitable for a range of vehicles and will make you far safer on the road.
While you only get a pair as opposed to four in a set, you will be pleased to have any at all once you hit a snowy patch on the road. There are also nine sizes from which to choose, they offer minimal clearance to reduce damage, and they come with low-profile carbon steel rollers to last longer as well.
While you don’t get the rubber adjusters with this snow tire chain pair, you will be pleased to know they are affordable to buy separately. Therefore, you can add them to your order with no hassles.
They are easy to install, lightweight to carry, and will make your journey far safer than ever before. Rather than risk traveling without any protection at all, invest in this low-cost option that will more than deliver on your need for safer journeys.
- Sold in pairs
- Rubber adjusters not included
- S Class clearance
- Nine sizes
- Size chart available
- Low-profile carbon steel rollers
- Minimal clearance
- 7.95 pounds
- Affordable to buy
- Effortless to install
- Non-damaging to vehicles
- Robust to last the distance
- Plenty of size options
- Reduced vibration compared to other brands
- You can’t use them on trailers
- Sold in lots of two, not four
- You have to buy the rubber adjusters separately
Considerations for Purchasing Snow Tire Chains
If you find yourself often traveling through challenging terrains such as mud, snow, sand, or ice, then the need for a snow tire chain is high. How can you expect to get from A to B safely or quickly without opting for added traction? Snow tire chains can provide a whole host of benefits.
However, did you know that the style and effectiveness can differ from one manufacturer to the next? As a result, you can’t just select a set, store it away, then use it later knowing it will fit. There is a high chance it won’t. Do your due diligence and consider the following points before purchasing.
- SizeThe size of your snow chains is essential. Make sure you measure your tires and compare it to the set you are thinking of buying. Often, there are vehicle comparison charts to make sure it’s going to match.
- MaterialNot every snow tire chain set is made of metal alone. Instead, they feature rubber, and sometimes even nylon. Think about the durability you require and how often you will use the chains. The most robust material is going to be the best.
- TerrainAre you an off-roader who travels through the mud? Or, do you hit the ski slopes once a year and need strong chains to get you there? Some chains are better for snow than mud, while others are suitable for all manner of terrain. Pay attention to what the manufacturer recommends, and even the promotional material.
- InstallationInstallation of snow chains can be quite challenging more often than not. However, if you’re not sure whether the set you’re looking at is, you can read purchaser reviews. Often, people note how easy or hard it is to install them. Their comments may help to sway your purchasing decision.
Last update on 2020-01-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API