- Auto-Schedule: No more confusing programming. It learns the temperatures you like and programs itself.
- Wi-Fi Thermostat: Connect the Nest Thermostat to Wi-Fi to change the temperature from your phone, tablet or laptop.
- Energy Saving: You’ll see the Nest Leaf when you choose a temperature that saves energy. It guides you in the right direction.
- Smart Thermostat: Early-On Nest learns how your home warms up and keeps an eye on the weather to get you the temperature you want when you want it.
- Home/Away Assist: The Nest Thermostat automatically turns itself down when you’re away to avoid heating or cooling an empty home.
- Frosted Display: Blends into the background and fits into any home. Heat pump is with auxiliary and emergency heat (O/B, AUX)
- Remote Control: Use the Nest app to change the temperature from anywhere – the beach, the office or your bed.
- Energy-Saving Features: Like the Nest Learning Thermostat, the Nest Thermostat E can help you save from day one.
- Home/Away Assist: Turns itself down after you leave, so you don’t waste energy heating or cooling an empty home.
- Energy History: Check the Nest app to see how much energy you use and why.
- EDITORS CHOICE BEST VALUE SMART THERMOSTAT by USA Today’s Reviewed.com
- SAVE ABOUT 23% ON HVAC ENERGY*: The ENERGY STAR certified Sensi thermostat helps you save on your HVAC energy costs, with features like geofencing, 7-day flexible scheduling, remote access and in-app system usage.
- MOST INSTALL IN 30 MINUTES OR LESS**: Use the built-in level and step-by-step app instructions for a quick installation. Skip any extra work painting or patching the wall thanks to the standard thermostat size.
- EXTENSIVE COMPATIBILITY***: Works with the HVAC equipment found in most homes - a c-wire is required for heat-only, cool-only and heat pump systems. Check system and router compatibility at sensi.emerson.com/compatibility
- SMART HOME COMPATIBLE: Works with Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, Apple HomeKit (c-wire required), and Samsung SmartThings smart home platforms.
Going green is pointless.
At least that’s what some people want you to believe. It would seem that making environmentally friendly choices was a passing trend.
But this isn’t true. Making green choices is more than just a fad, it has the ability to save the planet and your wallet.
But protecting the environment in small ways can have an incredible impact and can even save you money.
To illustrate a small environmentally friendly change anyone can make you should try switching to a smart thermostat. This small device can save you up to $180 per year.
With dozens of smart thermostats on the market and thousands of reviews to sift through how do you know you’re getting the right one?
Luckily, we’ve sifted through thousands of sites to find the best smart thermostat reviews. If you’re looking to help the environment and bring your house into the 21st century then check out this list of the best smart thermostat for your home.
How Do Smart Thermostats Work?
They allow you to regulate the temperature in your house by using any internet connected device. Like video doorbells it allows you to monitor your house remotely using your smartphone.
They’re flexible and can work with portable air conditioners if programmed correctly. Allowing you to save money and help the environment even if you live in a small house or apartment.
These give you greater control over heating and cooling in your house and their main drawback is their greatest strength, they rely on wifi. If the internet goes down your thermostat may be unusable. Although, many thermostats have ways around this there are still complications.
How We Choose the Best Smart Thermostat Reviews
We based most of our judgment and reviews from Amazon and tech blogs.
The largest advantages of switching to a smart thermostat are saving money on cooling and heating costs and reducing your carbon footprint. We’re going to rank our reviews based on how much money and energy the thermostat is saving you.
We’ll do this by looking at several areas:
- Remote temperature control- How accurately can this smart thermostat tell when you’re away and come back. Can it track weather outside and accurately adjust the indoor temperature accordingly?
- Air quality- How much control does the smart thermostat give you over the air in your house? Does it give you control over devices like a humidifier or air purifiers?
- Tracking- Can you monitor the amount of energy your using in your house over weeks or months?
- Scheduling and Zoning- Can you manually change the temperature at different times? Can you program different temperatures for different areas of the house?
Some other factors we’re going to take into account are ease of use and how complicated it is to switch from a regular thermostat. The programmable thermostat reviews we’re going to look at areas that related to the:
- Design- How universal is the design and well will it fit into your home? How intuitive is the user interface?
- Integration with other smart devices. How well can we smart thermostat connect to WiFi and to other smart devices? We’re also going to provide feedback on any applications connected to any smart thermostat reviews.
- Cost- Saving money shouldn’t break the bank. How much will this thermostat set you back? We will provide a cost analysis of each purifier.
Honeywell Lyric T5
This is a simple wifi thermostat is great for homeowners on a budget. At its price is the least expensive thermostat on this list but has some pretty impressive features for its price range.
Remote Temperature Control
This is the main problem for this smart thermostat it’s not very smart. It lacks any ability to learn about your setting preferences and doesn’t automatically learn about you.
It uses geofencing connected to your smartphone to tell how far away you are and to determine
if it should turn the heat on or off. This means if you forget your phone at home or lose it outside of your home it won’t work correctly.
Its functionality is mostly limited but it can be set up to work with Homekit. This allows you to control other functions from fans to lights.
The scheduling feature is pretty weak. It only allows for 4 temperature settings awake, sleep, home and away. And it does not allow for zoning.
On the bright side, it also has a function called adaptive recovery. This feature figures out how long the house takes to reach a certain your temperature settings so you always get the right temperature at the correct time.
The app allows you to track the temperature over time to see how much energy. It also alerts you when there are extreme weather issues and when you need to change air filters.
One of its best features is it’s the range of different home devices you can connect to including Alexa, Amazon Echo, and HomeKit.
The app is cleanly designed and easy to navigate. It’s compatible with Android and iOS tablets and smartphones.
The design of this smart thermometer is where it gets mixed reviews. Its user interface takes some time to get used to.
The product requires a c-wire or a common wire to work effectively. This makes it difficult to install.
You can only use it with a 2.4ghz wifi. You cannot support it on a combined network.
Outside of this, the device is very simple to install. It only takes around 5 minutes to set up and the installation guide is simple and easy to follow.
This is the best value cost wise. At $130 we can forgive the lack of certain features.
This is a great value if you want a good balance of price and simplicity.
Nest 3rd Generation
This smart wifi thermostat is a favorite among buyers. It’s currently the most popular smart thermostat on Amazon. Nest uses machine learning to note your preferences and determine if your home or not.
It does this with a combination of motion sensors and your phone.
Remote Temperature Control
This is what makes it one of the smartest thermostats on the market. It remembers your preferred heating and cooling settings and automatically adjusts them for you.
This app does have geofencing using your smartphone or a motion sensor.
This is where the nest gets points deducted. Thought it can connect to other features in the house and it works well with home ventilation systems.
This is it’s the greatest weakness. Though it comes with Energy Star it’s reporting is essentially useless.
You can find some information in the app but it only tells you how many hours the heat has been on and not much else.
Scheduling and Zoning
Though this app allows you to schedule temperature changes pretty frequently and it allows you to customize temperature for each room.
As for design, it comes in different colors including that you can match to your house’s decor.
Its user interface is very intuitive. To illustrate it has a farsight feature that senes when your around 10 feet away and projects the temperature brighter and bigger to improve visibility.
This one is complicated to use and its design isn’t intuitive or simple and it may take a while to get used to all the features.
This thermostat is on the expensive side at $210. It contains enough great features and functionality to make to make the price worth it in theory.
But in practice, there are too many glitches and limitations in reporting to make the price worth it.
This is one of the most extensive smart thermostats on this list. Though it’s price is steep it has some of a nearly endless list of features that make it a worthwhile purchase.
Remote Temperature Control
Geofencing is one of its best features. It promises some of the most sophisticated geofencing of all the thermostats.
One major drawback of the geofencing function is that it only it only works for a single user at a time. This means that if you leave your house the temperature may change even if someone is still there.
Alternatively, the thermostat may register that your home if someone else is still in your house.
This thermostat is on the more expensive side at around $250. But it does provide some of the most extensive functionality of any device on this list.
This is its main drawback. Though it’s user interface is simple this device is prone to not working.
Though it looks sleek and simple and it will most likely fit into any decor it may be difficult to install.
This thermostat has Alexa built so when you purchase it you get Echo dot. If Alexa isn’t your thing it can also be used with other smart home devices like Google Assistant, SmartThings from Samsung, and Apple HomeKit.
Now for the million dollar question: How does the thermostat itself work? Fairly well it gives you more control of your home’s temperature than most smart thermostats.
But the home sensors and the geofencing often work against one another. Our final rating is that though it has a lot of features they do not work well enough to justify its high cost.
Sensi Touch WiFi
This device has the most interesting combination of features. It combines a good price point with many of the same features listed for other smart thermostats.
Remote temperature control
This app allows geofencing on multiple phones but the feature must be manually enabled to work correctly. The feature turns off any heating or cooling running in your home until you’re outside a 3-mile radius.
The device also senses any extreme temperature changes and notifies you via your smartphone.
This lacks many of the house control features of other apps. It mainly works on the heating and cooling system.
This app has sophisticated scheduling features that let you remotely access detailed reports about your energy usage.
This app works with Wink, Apple, Siri, Google making its integration one of its best qualities and making it the ultimate Bluetooth thermostat.
Its design is the most like a smartphone so if you’ve never worked with a smart thermostat this one will be an easy transition.
The installation is also easy. It takes less than half an hour and doesn’t require a c-wire.
At around $140 this is one of the best values on our list it combines many of the features of other smart thermostats with a simple design and low cost.
One thing worth noting is that as of December 12, 2018, several models of this thermostat have been recalled by the manufacturer Emerson. Model numbers UP500W and 1F86U-42W with manufacturing dates from 1416 through 1536 are the only ones that have been affected.
They can be sent back to the manufacturer for a refund or replaced with a thermostat that works.
Do You Want to Be Sure You Buy the Best Products?
Switching to a smart thermostat can save hundreds of dollars per year on your energy bill and can help make your home greener. It perfectly adjusts your house to your needs at all times and is one of the greatest decisions you can make for your family.
Now that you’ve sifted through the best smart thermostat reviews what other purchases can we help you decide on?
If you want some advice about picking products then contact us and we’ll be glad to help you out.
Last update on 2020-05-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API