- Ergonomic S-curve shoulder straps with Two large main compartments for versatile storage
- Front utility pocket with audio electronics organizer keeps essentials handy
- Two zippered front stash pockets with fully padded back panel for cushioning comfort
- Web haul loop
- Big Student
- 2100 cubic inches
- THE BIG STUDENT BACKPACK: The classic JanSport backpack look, with more space & pockets, the Big Student is great for high school & college students. A water bottle pocket & three front zipper pockets means more room for books, snacks, electronics & gear.
- YOUR EVERYDAY, EVERYWHERE BACKPACK: JanSport backpacks are popular at school for a reason. With colors & style that reflect your personality, room for books, water bottles, laptops & sports gear, your JanSport goes from school to fun as quickly as you do.
- JANSPORT BACKPACKS: JanSport backpacks are made with durable fabric, zippers & straps, in colors & designs to reflect your style. We stand by our packs for a lifetime, so carry your JanSport on your adventures, knowing we'll replace or repair any breaks.
- WE'RE ABOUT THE JOURNEY: JanSport is about the discovery of fun, freedom & adventure. From your first school backpack & lunch bag to the messenger bag for your first interview, from running errands to chasing dreams, JanSport gear inspires your journey.
- WE'RE THE ORIGINAL: JanSport began making backpacks in 1967. From lunch bags to fanny packs to laptop bags, JanSport gear is durable and functional. You'll love our simple designs if you've used packs by Nike, Adidas, Herschel, Kippling, & Fjallraven.
Finding the right backpack that can hold up to the abuse we put them through on a daily basis can be a daunting task. This is especially true for college or high school students, who have to carry heavy books, laptops and school supplies. For many youths, there is also the importance of looking cool and hip – some won’t be caught dead with an embarrassing design, no matter how uncomfortable the backpack is. The good news is that JanSport’s Big Student Classic Series Daypack fulfils both requirements, being functional and stylish at the same time. Founded in 1967, JanSport has been in the business of making backpacks and outdoor gear for well over 40 years. Backed with this experience and a commitment to high quality, innovative and durable products, it’s no wonder the brand is a popular choice among people from all over the world. “We have also written a complete guide about North face unisex borealis backpacks“.
Build and Dimensions
You’ll never want for space and compartments with the Big Student. Measuring 17.5 inches by 13 inches by 10 inches, it is extremely roomy and has a total capacity of 2,100 cubic inches (about 34L), or roughly the size of a small hiking backpack. It features not one, not two but a whopping four compartments, all zippered for extra protection against theft or the elements. There are two large main compartments, which can be used to store textbooks, stationery, binders and laptops. The only downside is that they are not padded, so care should be taken to prevent the bag from hard knocks or bumps when carrying fragile stuff or electronic gadgets. There is also no dedicated sleeve to separate laptops or tablets from the rest of the items. “We have also written a complete guide about best swiss gear backpack“.
Meanwhile, a front utility pocket sticks out like a pouch, and has smaller compartments within for easy organisation, including dedicated storage for cell phones and audio electronics.The cell phone section even has a flap and Velcro tab so that users can keep it securely in place. The top of the backpack features a handle for quick and easy transporation. Last but not least, on this utility pocket is a zippered front stash to store valuables such as small trinkets, keys and makeup.
Most school backpacks have two side pockets, but the Big Student only has one – a mesh design with an elastic top band big enough to fit a large water bottle. The high quality zippers come in pairs at each opening, and feature holes at the tips so users can slip a small padlock through them for added security. The zippers stop midway rather than going down all the way to the bottom.
On its own, the bag is lightweight at just 0.68kg. Due to their large dimensions, they are probably not suitable for younger kids, as experts recommend that they should not be carrying over 10 to 20 percent of their body weight; but the Big Student is still a solid choice for high schoolers and college kids. The back, which is the point that makes the most contact with the user’s body, is fully padded for cushioned comfort; as are the adjustable shoulder straps. The straps may be a bit stiff straight out of the packaging, but softens up and becomes more comfortable with repeated use. Their ergonomic S-curve design helps to distribute weight evenly across the back, shoulders and neck, so users won’t feel the weight of their load as much. The backpack can easily handle weights of up to 20lbs.
JanSport has a stellar reputation when it comes to durability, and the Big Student is no exception. Made from 600D polyester, the material is lightweight but very tough and able to withstand rough handling as well as the rigorous demands of daily travel. Some users reported that they’ve used the bag for years with minimal wear and tear.
Polyester is known to be incredibly strong and resistant to most chemicals, as well as being resistant to wrinkles, abrasion, shrinking and moisture. The same material is used to make ropes. Due to its hydrophobic nature, it dries quickly – so even though the bag is not waterproof, there should not be a problem if you get caught in light rain while commuting. The backpack can be washed and dried easily, and retains its color and shape well over time. The material’s low absorbency is also good news for clumsy people, as it resists staining – although don’t go around knocking food and drinks purposely onto the backpack! It is stiff enough for the bag to stand on its own even without any items inside. While not reinforced with Ripstop technology, the bag’s mechanical stitching holds up well and rarely rips or frays even with a heavy load.
The Big Student takes ‘personalized style’ to a whole new level. With over 50 colors and designs to choose from, users will definitely find one that suits them best. If you like simple, solid colors, then there are options like black, forge grey, purple and navy. The layered ‘flaps’ over each compartment are a nice touch and complement the backpack’s squarish shape. For something more fun and colourful, there are designs like the Black Ziggy, which features zebra-like patterns. The Multi-Painted Stones resonates with your inner hippie, while the Desert Beige Conflict Combo recalls rugged, military-inspired style with their camouflage patterned fabric. All designs feature a JanSport logo sewn onto the front pocket.
The backpack comes with a lifetime warranty on materials and workmanship. This applies when the product is used for its intended purposes under normal conditions, excluding damages from everyday wear and tear, neglect or unreasonable use.
Pros and Cons
- Massive storage space, many compartments for easy organisation
- Ergonomic S-curve design for better distribution of weight
- Comes in many colors and designs
- High quality polyester material is very durable and tough
- Compartments are not padded
- No dedicated laptop sleeve
- Stiff shoulder straps need some ‘breaking in’
The Big Student backpack is a nice balance of strength and comfort, and will make a good companion for high schoolers and college students. Their high quality material and build is made to last, and they also come in a variety of colors and designs to suit different tastes. There are a few cons to the bag (no laptop sleeve, non-padded compartments) but this is a small price to pay for the benefits users will reap from the backpack.
Last update on 2020-07-27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API